Thursday, July 21, 2016

Sweet Ansley's Birth Story

She is finally here!!  Welcome Ansley White Dew!

Born on July 20, 2016 at 5:04 am.  She weighed 6 lb 12 oz and is 20 inches long.  She is practically perfect in every way!  Mom, Dad, big brother, big sister, Grandma and Grandpa (on both sides) are all very much in love!

I thought I'd take a few minutes and tell the tale of how this little beauty came to our family.  

I was at my 37 week appointment, and to my surprise, when the doctor checked me, I was 1 cm 50% effaced.  I was shocked because I had never progressed at all with either of my other kids until I was in labor.  The doctor told me, "Pack your bag, it could be any day!" 

So for the next 2 weeks, I lived in fear that I would go into labor at any minute with my husband 3 hours away!  There was even a few days around week 38 in which I had no working cell phone, my in laws were on vacation in Myrtle Beach, Daniel was away at work, and my parents weren't here yet.  I told me neighbor that if my water broke in the middle of the night I was going to come running across the lawn and bang on her window for them to watch my kids and take me to the hospital!  

Luckily, I made it to 39 weeks with no baby!  Now the problem was, Daniel is scheduled to leave for a work conference 2 days after my due date!  So I discussed the options with my doctor, and we decided I was a good candidate to be induced at 39 weeks 3 days.  

I was scheduled to be induced on July 19 at 6 pm.  

Despite my worries, anxiety, and lack of sleep, the night of the induction arrived.  We went to Texas Roadhouse with my parents and the kids for my "last meal."  Then Daniel and I kissed the kids goodbye and headed to the hospital.  With my other two kids it was such a crazy drive to the hospital, already being in labor, so it was oddly refreshing to go to the hospital so calmly.  

We got checked in, and the nurse checked me and I was 2 cm, 60% effaced.  They started me on Pitocin around 8 pm.  I was worried that the Pitocin wouldn't do anything because I was on Pitocin when my labor stalled out with Reagan and it really didn't do anything.  Thankfully, the contractions started pretty much right away, on the lowest dose of Pitocin and it didn't need to be upped again.  

The contractions really weren't bad, so Daniel and I chatted and watched TV, I talked to a friend from back home for a while, and tried to get some rest.  

The nurse checked me around 11 pm and I was a 3.  She said she wouldn't check me again until I needed something for pain.  I decided this time around that I was going to get an epidural.  I just didn't have it in me again to do another birth like Reagan.  

So around 1:30 am, I wasn't in pain, but I was getting uncomfortable, so I called for something for pain.  The nurse told me the anesthesiologist probably wouldn't be up for another hour, and asked if I wanted something in my IV to take the edge off.  Whatever they gave me, hit me like a ton of bricks. The room became a little fuzzy and I began asking weird questions such as, "Is it weird for my hands to feel like this?" raising my arms above me head.  Anyway, it also made me COMPLETELY relaxed, and did take the edge off until around 3 am when I was able to get the epidural. After the epidural the nurse checked me again and I was at 5 cm.  

Just like with Logan, the epidural gave me a little bit of the shakes, but I was able to relax and maybe even sleep, until around 4:30 am when I started feeling a little bit of pressure.  I was pretty numb, so I thought maybe my water broke and I didn't feel it, so I called the nurse.  She checked me and I was at 10 cm and the baby was coming!!  I couldn't believe it!  I had gone from 5 cm to 10 cm in an hour!  So we called my mom and the doctor to come on over for the birth!

The doctor got there around 4:45 am, got set up, broke my water, and two pushes later my sweet Ansley was born at 5:04 am.  My first thoughts were just how tiny and adorable she is!  She's one of the tiniest babies I've ever seen!  Almost 2 lbs smaller than Logan was!  It was seriously the EASIEST birth ever.  It almost felt like, "Was that it?  Is it over already?"  I was in labor with Logan for 23 hours and Reagan for 18 hours, so labor for basically 5 hours, maybe? felt amazing!  Ansley definitely wins the prize for easiest labor and delivery!  

A few hours later my mother in law brought over Logan and Reagan to meet their new sister.  Is it so cute to watch them with her.  Especially Logan, he is just smitten with her.  He is a great big brother.  

Anyway, that's how we welcomed our new baby girl!  Easy-peasy!

No comments:

Post a Comment